Before we started our contract, we outlined some bucket list goals. Some were shared goals and some I outlined for myself. Now that our year contract is finished, I figured I would take a look at our bucket list and see what we’ve accomplished! It’s been quite a year!
- Read 100 books
According to my Goodreads account, I have just made my goal with 105 books read. I didn’t set any requirements for type of book length of book, and read a variety of books over the last year. My long commutes made it easy to get a lot of reading done. I want to continue to read a lot during this next year because back home, I always found excuses as to why I was too busy to read for fun! I may start listening to audiobooks, in addition, because I plan to walk to school.
- Run a 10K in South Korea
Done! This was the most fun of the two races I ran last year. I loved the energy!
- Run a half marathon in South Korea
I somehow survived this half marathon despite minimal training! The big question is will I stick to only 10Ks while in Korea?
- Try authentic Thai food
Done! Delicious; We love Southeast Asian food!
- Visit Thailand
- Visit Japan
We loved Japan so much! Kyoto was our favorite city!
- Visit Jeju Island
We didn’t get to do this! We tried to go to Jeju island two different times and the ferry was all sold out well in advance! We will be trying to see Jeju next year, as there are more ferries that leave from Yeosu. I can’t wait to see Jeju Island!
- Travel by boat
We travelled by boat in Thailand!
- Travel by train
We did this a couple of times in Korea! We will likely be using the train more now that we have a train station in Yeosu. Previously, we had to take the train out of other cities!
- Travel to another country by boat
This is still on our to-do list! It was actually cheaper to fly to Japan, so we didn’t take a boat there!
- Do something daring
I have mixed feelings about this one. In one way, I feel like moving to Korea and being around completely different things for a whole year is daring enough….but the other part of me wants to do something really daring! So I’m going to leave this one unchecked!
I decided to keep adding to our bucket list, I don’t want to focus solely on the next year. I know for a fact we will be traveling as soon as our 2nd contract is over. In addition, I want to continue working on our bucket list well after that! So, there is no time frame — but these are our goals!
- Travel to another country by boat (still on the list)
- Visit Jeju Island (still on the list)
- Do something daring (still on the list)
- Visit all of the continents (this will take some time, but we want to do it!)
- Run on every continent (2 checked off so far)
- Skydive (I’ve really been wanting to do this, but Nick wants to me to do it somewhere other than in Korea)
- Try authentic Indian food
- Visit Japan again
- Backpack throughout Europe
- Take a hot air balloon ride
- Visit the Galapagos Islands
- See the Northern Lights
- Volunteer while traveling (We spent time at the Elephant Nature Park last year while in Thailand, but I want to do more)
These are just some future goals. I’ll continue to add more to this list and will work to check items off this list as we continue this journey!