If you’re looking to take part in a truly unique experience while in the Atacama area, I recommend taking part in the Atacama Desert Stargazing tour. This exciting tour is led by Jorge Corante. He offers a variety of tours that are educational and fun – and he does a great job of keeping you entertained the whole time! Jorge takes you on a journey as you learn about the history of astronomy. You’ll even get to observe the stars, constellations, and planets for yourself!
So, who is Jorge Corante? Jorge grew up in the area and first developed an interest in astronomy while spending summer evenings with his Grandma and siblings in Toconao, which is a village outside of San Pedro de Atacama. Here he enjoyed observing the night sky. As an adult, he began to self-study astronomy while he spent his days working as a general tour guide. His dream was to have his own astronomical observatory — and he now has this very thing in San Pedro de Atacama! His tours have won many awards and are highly talked about!
Wondering what to expect? At the start of the evening, Jorge picks you up at your hotel and brings you to his outdoor observatory — which is right at his home. Here you’ll be introduced to his various telescopes as you learn all about the night sky and the history behind it. He shares fun trivia that will really make you think!
Even before the tour started, I was amazed at just how lit up the sky was. We quickly learned that the Southern Hemisphere is the best location to explore the night sky. Why? This is due to the positioning and pollution-free sky. If you choose to stargaze in the San Pedro de Atacama area — you’ll be amazed!
You will get to view the night sky, stars, and planets through Jorge’s various telescopes. He shows you each object and gives you a detailed explanation as to what you’re looking at. I couldn’t believe that we could see the Milky Way so visibly — and planets up close and personal!
5 Reasons to Choose Jorge’s Tour Over Another Stargazing Tour:
- Jorge provides transport to and from the tour — making it very stress-free for you.
- Heaters, blankets, hot drinks, and snacks are nice extras that make the evening more comfortable.
- Jorge provides you with the equipment and guidance to take your own photos. He welcomes you bringing your camera!
- It’s more than just viewing — you get to learn the history and explanation behind what you’re seeing.
- Jorge will send you professional photos from the evening — what a great way to remember this amazing experience!
Here’s How to Book:
- Choose the specific tour you’d like to join. I took part in the SAT 1 Special Astronomical Tour and it was perfect.
- Email Jorge to choose a date that works well for you. Communication with Jorge is fast and easy. Note: Tours do not run 3 days before or 3 days after a full moon. So, be sure to check your travel dates and plan accordingly if you really want to take part in a stargazing tour
- Jorge will pick you up at your hotel at the set time and date. Note: Be sure to dress warmly!
- When Jorge drops you back off at your hotel, you pay in cash for the tour. The SAT 1 tour is $100 USD. Note: In Chile, wrinkly or damaged USD bills can not be exchanged, so be sure to bring money without rips or tears. You can also pay in Chilean pesos.
For the SAT 1 Tour, we were picked up around 8:15 from our hotel and then returned around 1 am. The ending time of your tour will vary depending on the weather conditions that evening.
If you’re interested in any other guided experiences while on the Atacama area, Jorge also offers other tours. You can take part in an overnight stargazing tour, hiking and biking tours, and more!
There’s a reason the Atacama Desert Stargazing tour is rated #1 on Trip Advisor. If you want an informative, fun, and memorable stargazing experience, I highly recommend booking with Jorge.
Disclaimer: I was invited to take part in this tour, but as always, all views are my own. I will truly always remember this amazing experience!