Is myrtle beach safe? Myrtle Beach, known for its pristine beaches and thrilling amusement parks, has been a go-to destination for families for years. But with the rise in crime rates across the country, many parents are questioning whether this vacation hotspot is still a safe choice. In this blog post, we’ll explore Myrtle Beach’s safety measures and answer the question on every parent’s mind – is Myrtle Beach safe? So buckle up and get ready to discover everything you need to know about how to keep you secure while enjoying all that this Southern gem has to offer!
Overview of Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach is a popular vacation destination for families from all over the United States. The city is situated on the Grand Strand, a 60-mile stretch of coastline along the Atlantic Ocean. Myrtle Beach is known for its beautiful beaches, golf courses, and attractions.
Families have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach for generations and it is considered to be a safe place to visit. The city has taken steps to ensure that families can enjoy their vacation without worry. Myrtle Beach has implemented a comprehensive safety plan that includes increased police presence, security cameras, and improved lighting in public areas.
The city of Myrtle Beach, located in the beautiful state of South Carolina, is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors. Families can feel confident that they will be able to enjoy their vacation while feeling safe and secure in this family-friendly destination. If you’re interested in learning more about the attractions and lifestyle of South Carolina, check out: https://www.
Is myrtle beach safe?
According to recent crime statistics, Myrtle Beach has a higher crime rate than the national average. In 2020, the city’s violent crime rate was higher than the national rate, and its rate of property crime was also higher. While these statistics may be concerning, it’s important to note that crime rates can vary by neighborhood and that Myrtle Beach Police have an aggressive plan to crack down on crime. It’s essential to take standard precautions when visiting Myrtle Beach or any other tourist destination. Some safety tips include:
- Stay in well-traveled areas and avoid poorly lit or deserted places, especially at night.
- Secure your belongings, and don’t leave them unattended in public areas or on the beach.
- Be cautious with alcohol consumption, and never drink and drive.
- Use reputable transportation services, such as licensed taxis or rideshare apps like Uber or Lyft.
- Research your accommodations beforehand, and choose a hotel or rental property in a safe area.
- Pay attention to local weather forecasts and follow safety guidelines in the event of storms or hurricanes.
Safety Measures Taken by the City
Myrtle Beach is a popular vacation destination for families, but there are always concerns about safety when traveling to a new place. The good news is that the city of Myrtle Beach takes safety seriously and has implemented several measures to ensure the safety of visitors. Here are some of the safety measures taken by the city:
- The Myrtle Beach Police Department has a dedicated team of officers who patrol the beaches and downtown area. They are visible and available to help with any problems that may arise.
- The city has installed security cameras in strategic locations around town, including the beachfront, boardwalk, and main streets. These cameras help deter crime and also assist in investigating any incidents that do occur.
- Myrtle Beach has its own 911 dispatch center which ensures a quick response to any emergencies that may come up.
- There is a curfew in effect for minors under the age of 18 from 10pm-6am. This helps to keep young people safe and off the streets late at night.
By taking these measures, the city of Myrtle Beach has made it clear that they prioritize the safety of their visitors. Families can rest assured knowing that they will be safe while enjoying all that this beautiful city has to offer.
How to Stay Safe in Myrtle Beach (More Tips)
Myrtle Beach is a popular vacation destination for families, but it’s important to be aware of the city’s safety measures before you travel. Here are some tips to help you stay safe in Myrtle Beach:
- Familiarize yourself with the area before you travel. This will help you be aware of any potential hazards in the area.
- Stay in well-lit and populated areas when possible.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Be cautious of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, move to a different area or leave the area altogether.
- Keep an eye on your belongings and don’t leave them unsupervised in public areas.
- Be aware of the local laws and customs before you travel. This will help you avoid any potential legal trouble while you’re in Myrtle Beach.
- Keep your family and friends informed of your whereabouts while you’re on vacation. This will help them keep track of you in case of an emergency.
Myrtle Beach has a vibrant nightlife scene, but it is important to take precautions to ensure your safety when enjoying the bars and clubs. Here are some nightlife safety tips:
- Do not leave your drink unattended and never accept drinks from strangers.
- Plan ahead and arrange for a designated driver or use a ride-sharing service.
- Be aware of your alcohol consumption and know your limits.
- Stay in well-lit areas and avoid walking alone at night.
- If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, leave the area and seek help from a trusted authority figure.
When it comes to safety concerns, it’s important to know that Myrtle Beach has a well-equipped emergency services system in place. In the event of an emergency, residents and visitors can rely on the city’s police department, fire department, and hospitals to provide assistance and care.
The Myrtle Beach Police Department is responsible for maintaining law and order within the city limits. With a force of over 300 officers, the department is well-equipped to handle emergencies and provide assistance to those in need. The department also has a Community Services Division that works with residents and businesses to promote safety and prevent crime.
The department’s website provides a wealth of information on safety tips, crime prevention, and community programs. Visitors to the city can also find information on the department’s non-emergency number, which they can call for assistance with non-life-threatening situations.
The Myrtle Beach Fire Department is responsible for responding to fires, medical emergencies, and other disasters within the city. The department has seven fire stations strategically located throughout the city to ensure quick response times. The department also has a Hazardous Materials Response Team and a Technical Rescue Team that can be called upon in the event of a major emergency.
The department’s website provides information on fire safety, emergency preparedness, and community programs. Visitors to the city can also find information on the department’s non-emergency number, which they can call for assistance with non-life-threatening situations.
Is Myrtle Beach safe to swim
Yes, Myrtle Beach is generally safe for swimming unless otherwise indicated by officials. According to an article from WBTW News, officials test the waters regularly to ensure their safety and mark any areas that may be hazardous for swimmers . Additionally, the Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau states that swimming is not advised within 200 feet in each direction of a swash/stormwater outfall, but visitors can still wade, collect shells, and fish in these areas . However, as with any destination, petty crime or harassment can occur in some areas of Myrtle Beach. Travelers can ensure their safety by observing basic safety guidelines and rules, as advised by Travellers Worldwide .
- Obey all posted signs and flags indicating water conditions and potential hazards.
- Stay within designated swimming areas and avoid swimming near piers.
- Always supervise children when they are in or near the water.
- Stay hydrated and wear sunscreen to avoid heat exhaustion and sunburn.
- Do not swim alone and always have a buddy when swimming in the ocean.
Myrtle Beach has a higher crime rate than similarly sized metro areas. According to the U.S. News Best Places, the crime rate in Myrtle Beach is 51.08 per 1,000 residents during a standard year. This means that residents and visitors have a higher chance of being a victim of a crime in Myrtle Beach compared to other similarly sized metro areas in the United States.
Violent Crime Rate
The rate of violent crime in Myrtle Beach is higher than the national average. According to Crime Grade, the violent crime rate in Myrtle Beach was 1,165.85 per 100,000 people in 2020. This means that residents and visitors have a higher chance of being a victim of a violent crime, such as rape, robbery, or assault, in Myrtle Beach compared to the national average.
Property Crime Rate
The rate of property crime in Myrtle Beach is also higher than the national average. According to AreaVibes, residents and visitors have a 1 in 82 chance of falling victim to a property crime, such as theft, burglary, or motor vehicle theft, in Myrtle Beach. This means that the rate of property crime in Myrtle Beach is higher than the national average.
While Myrtle Beach may have a higher crime rate than other similarly sized metro areas in the United States, it is important to note that crime is not evenly distributed throughout the city. Some areas of Myrtle Beach may have higher crime rates than others. It is always important to take precautions and stay aware of your surroundings when traveling to any new area.
Attractions and Activities in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach is a top vacation destination for families. In addition to its beautiful beaches, the city offers a wide variety of attractions and activities for families to enjoy. Here are just a few of the many options available:
- Ripley’s Aquarium: This world-famous aquarium is home to more than 10,000 sea creatures. Families can explore the underwater world through interactive exhibits and exciting live shows.
- Broadway at the Beach: This huge entertainment complex features an array of shops, restaurants, amusements, and nightlife options. Families can spend a day exploring all that Broadway at the Beach has to offer.
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park: This classic seaside amusement park features more than 30 rides, including a roller coaster, Ferris wheel, carousel, and more. There’s also an arcade and water park on site.
- Myrtle Waves Water Park: This 20-acre water park is one of the largest in the country and features over 30 slides and attractions. Families can cool off and have a blast at Myrtle Waves Water Park.
Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe While Visiting Myrtle Beach
When it comes to Myrtle Beach, safety is always a top priority for families. Here are a few tips to help keep your family safe while visiting the beach:
- Avoid swimming in areas where there are no lifeguards on duty.
- Always supervise children when they are near any body of water, including the ocean, pools, and hot tubs.
- Be aware of rip currents and know how to stay safe if you get caught in one.
- Keep an eye out for wildlife, such as jellyfish and sharks, and know what to do if you encounter them.
- Use sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays, and be sure to reapply it often, especially if you’re swimming or sweating.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, especially in hot weather.
- Wear comfortable shoes to avoid getting blisters from walking on the beach or boardwalk.
- Pack a first-aid kit in case anyone in your family gets hurt while on vacation.
Myrtle Beach is a beautiful destination for families to visit. With the proper safety measures in place, it can be a safe and enjoyable vacation spot for everyone. From family-friendly activities to plenty of beachfront fun, there’s something for everyone in the city. Be sure to take all necessary precautions and do your research before visiting so that you can have a safe and memorable trip!
Also Check Austin Vs San Antonio: Which is Best?