Bingo is a classic game based on chance and has been a popular choice for many to play at both land-based and online casinos.
From its humble beginnings to now, there’s plenty to learn about the iconic game.
So, if you want to discover what’s been happening in the world of Bingo, such as the technological advancements that have allowed for modern variations of the game including the option to play Slingo – the Bingo and Slots hybrid, for example, read on…
A brief history
Before delving into the modern world of Bingo, let’s take a history trip to find out how the game has evolved…
- Italy: It is said that the origins of Bingo date back to Italy in the 16th century, from a game called ‘Lo Giuco del Lotto D’Italia’. This was a lottery game that involved calling random numbers and marking them off on cards.
- France: The game then evolved further in France in the 18th century with a game called ‘Le Lotto’, which featured a playing card with three horizontal and nine vertical rows.
- Germany: During the 19th century, Germany introduced a version of the game that started to become more like what we see today.
- America: Making its way to the US in the early 20th century, it gained mass popularity in fairs and carnivals. Edwin S. Lowe is credited with popularising the game further and called it ‘Beano’ to begin with. A friend of his mistakenly shouted out “Bingo” during a game, and Lowe decided to stick with it.
Over the years the game evolved much more and moved on to other places in the world, like the UK.
But what are some modern twists that have Bingo-ing on in the world of Bingo?
- Online Bingo: With technological advancements, Bingo has made use of them too, as you can enjoy playing from various online sites on multiple electronic devices. As long as you have a reliable internet connection, you can play at home or even on the move.
- Themed games: Evolution in the Bingo landscape has also meant that themed games have become increasingly popular. There are a variety of themes, including ones from popular TV shows and movies to create more options for those playing.
- Live caller edition: When playing online, you can access an automated game that’s still chance-based, or you can choose to play a live-caller version. A real-life host who is professionally trained will call out the numbers – replicating a land-based Bingo hall. You can also interact with the caller for help or queries, if necessary.
- Progressive jackpots: Another aspect available within particular Bingo games is the chance of a progressive jackpot, where the prize pool grows with each game played until it’s won. Due to the chance-based nature of the game, you never know when a player will be successful, but would you try your chances at one of these games?
Many things have Bingo-ing on in the world of Bingo – from the day that the game began to now, and we can only predict that there will be much more to expect for the future of the classic game…